A Unique Primitive Art with a whisper to the past~

These truly ARE the voices in my head.







Friday, December 5, 2008

One of My Favorite Things This Year


I'm often asked, "What is your favorite piece that you've designed"? In true artist form, it is my next piece. This past weekend, I checked in on my Uncle's cat while he was away. I walked by a small Curio Cabinet that was my Grandmother's and I saw a piece that I had made for her about 17 years ago. It was a small colonial dressed mouse made from felt. I had forgotten all about her. She's tiny and made from grey felt, perhaps all of 3 inches tall. There were plenty of tiny details from her apron to her mob cap. All done without a pattern to guide me. I've never had much sewing experience before I started doll making about 11 years ago. In fact I did poorly at attempting a "V" neck on a shirt I made in Home Ec.

I look at Mrs. Bennet today and wonder just how the dear hen turned out so well after viewing my little mouse! Desire to learn is a wonderful thing to push you along and let you grow. Every year, I look back at my designs to see where they have lead me since I started my Folk Art path. It was amazing to find the little mouse, and have her remind me that I had it in me longer than I thought! Not counting however, the dresses and skirts made for my Barbies, or the frog Grandma and I made when I was young enough to have baby teeth still missing in front. The past has always been my keeper and still is today. Thank you Gramma for reminding me and showing me just how far I've really come in sewing my designs.

3 comments:

Christine Crocker said...

Dear Stacey,

what lovely thoughts and what a lovely little hen mrs Bennet is in her sweet little frock.
bless your efforts,
Christine

Baggaraggs: said...

Stacey, you have incredible skills of creativity and design. Great focus and a great LOOK. Everybody wants the LOOK, you know what I mean? Your designs sell and That is a great compliment to you. People want to recreate what you have actually designed. That just ROCKS. If you want to know the truth I failed home ec in high school because I felt that the Patterns were just too limiting. I wanted to sew off into the wilderness and this is what has happened to me. I like it. Robin of the Baggaraggs

Janice said...

She is beautiful!! I must have one of her some day, as well as some of your other lovely creatures! They would very much be happy living with me in my little log cabin on the hill! I can't sew, though, so must wait for some of your finished items to come up for sale. :o)
Blessings,
Janice