A Unique Primitive Art with a whisper to the past~

These truly ARE the voices in my head.







Thursday, August 2, 2007

Berry Booty!





Best Berry Cobbler

1C margarine, 1/3 C Milk room temp
1C sugar, 2 C berries
1 C water, 1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 C flour, 2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking powder

melt 1/2 cup margarine in baking dish. heat sugar & water until sugar melts, set aside. mix flour, salt and baking powder in bowl, cut 1/2 cup margarine into flour mixture, add milk. turn out onto floured surface knead slightly. roll out to 11" x 9" size, 1/4 " thick. spread berries onto dough, sprinkle cinnamon on top of berries roll and slice. place in pan on top of melted butter and pour sugar syrup around slices, crust will absorb syrup. bake 45 minutes at 350F sprinkle 2 Tbsp of sugar on top bake an additional 15 minutes, will thicken as it cools.


I wanted to share this recipe with all of you. You can use any berry and mixed berries are wonderful. I've been up at my Parent's home for a couple days to help them out and we decided tonight to go visit my Aunt Iva and Doc. They live just over the border in Vermont. They own Liebig's Strawberries and have been growing strawberries along with other fruits and vegetables for over 40 years. In our family, once you reached age 12, you worked in the strawberry fields during the summer. It was my first summer job and I've worked nearly every stage of the strawberry operation and picked nearly every fruit. I worked there even when I was pregnant with Bailey. As Doc would say...."its a family business".


I took my Dad and Jessie tonight to pick blueberries.. there are rows and rows just bursting with the best fruit in the world! In June, there are 50 miles of strawberries. They also have 12 miles of raspberries and 10 miles of blueberries. Jess hasn't picked blueberries in a couple years, but tonight she realized just what hot and hard work it is in the summer. We only picked for an hour, but she had a difficult time thinking about picking every day for hours. This was the way that I earned my money every summer to buy my school clothes. I know she has a new found respect hiding under her wish for a piece of warm cobbler later this evening.

No comments: