A Unique Primitive Art with a whisper to the past~

These truly ARE the voices in my head.







Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Devil Is In The Details


I can't tell you just how much I love what I do. I've always been drawn to textiles and have enjoyed using them to showcase my ideas. Now, trust me, I could never sit through my Mom trying to show me how to sew a skirt and failed miserably at my V neck shirt for Home Economics....but give me a piece of muslin and a pencil and I'm off. When my girls were little, I did attempt to make mittens for all of my nieces, thinking how difficult could it be? I found a pattern marked in big red letters...EASY. Perfect. Little mittens with a fitted thumb and a simple hat. A migraine and two weeks later, I was talking to a friend who made many of her own clothes for years. I showed her the pattern sheepishly and thought to myself.. I'm gonna feel like an idiot after she shows me what I was doing wrong. Hallelujah.. I was not an idiot after all! The pattern was not as easy as it proclaimed and my seasoned sewing friend wrote them a letter a couple weeks earlier, letting them know just how badly they messed up.



Now I look at some of the things I make and wonder, just how would I explain how to do THAT? Thankfully, in the years that I have been writing patterns, I haven't messed up too badly. I want my patterns to be above all, fun. I like putting in some little detail that not only makes the piece, but gives someone a little something different to try. Tonight on TDIPT, I have three offerings and all three have something in common. The use of wire for the details. Will I make any of these patterns? I'd certainly like to, but you can bet that as I write up everything step by step...that fitted thumb issue will nag me to keep it simple!


3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Please make them into patterns! I will be one of the first to purchase them! You are a very talented woman and we sewers appreciate your sharing your talent with us. Hugs! Suzanne

sandy said...

Hi, Stacey,
Please make the pattern for the undertaker! (even if you change his hands to a simpler direction)

LoveThePrimLook said...

Suzanne said it perfect !!!! I LOVE your new offerings !!!

Angie